Hillel Frankel is the managing partner of The Entertainment Law Office, P.C. where he represents a wide variety of music, film, radio and web artists and entertainment entities. Hillel has been integral in the development of many musical acts, first as a musician in Chicago's Heavy Manners and then with the Grammy nominated Liquid Soul. He currently represents top Chicago based artists JeremiH, Poi Dog Pondering, JC Brooks and the Uptown Sound and Liquid Soul.
Hillel has been house counsel for many independent and major affiliated record labels, production companies, publishers and web start up companies (see the Client List tab). He is also currently CEO of NoVo Artist Management and Publicity, Inc. an artist management and consulting company providing management, publicity and consulting services for artists and entertainment companies.
Hillel received his BA from the University of Illinois in Chicago in 1990 and received his law degree from DePaul College of Law in Chicago in 1993. Hillel was admitted to the bar in Illinois in 1993 dividing his time between working with music concerns and working in general practice. In 1999 he formed the Entertainment Law office, P.C. and from 2000 to 2002 was an adjunct professor at DePaul University College of Law, teaching a popular Entertainment Law course. He has been a panelist, moderator and guest lecturer at many music and entertainment conferences. He has written an on going legal advice column for In the Mix Magazine, and has been a guest legal columnist for many other publications and a regular contributor to a variety of music and entertainment blogs. He has recorded, produced and/or executive produced over 20 albums under his musical pseudonym of Frankie Hill and was an original musical member (and then legal counsel) to Grammy nominated jazz group Liquid Soul.
Areas of Expertise
· Music Industry Law: Drafting and negotiating of recording, publishing, production, songwriting and management agreements; start-up services for publishing companies, record labels and web music companies; counsel for established labels and artists, formation of corporate entities, partnership and corporate agreements and merger and rights acquisition agreements.
· TV, Film, and Radio Production: Rights acquisition, production and talent agreements; option agreements, employment contracts, investor agreements, corporate issues and business entities for development and production companies, drafting and negotiation of promotion agreements and sweepstakes contest materials.
· Copyright, Trademark filings and Endorsement Agreements: Copyright litigation and protection of copyrights, trademarks, ownership of "brand-names", issues related to the rights of personality.
Professional Music Experience
· Under the music pseudonym 'Frankie Hill' recorded two albums and toured as a keyboard/sax player with P-1.
· Toured and recorded two albums on keyboards with the critically acclaimed Grammy nominated Liquid Soul.
· Co-founded and played keyboards, Sax and recorded with Chicago's most popular band of the 80's Heavy Manners.
· Toured the US with General Public (out of the UK) and the LA-based band The Bonedaddys.
· Taught Entertainment Law 2000-2002 DePaul College of Law.
· Numerous lectures on entertainment and copyright issues.
· Panel moderator at Winter Music Conference and other select music conferences.
· The Recording Academy (Grammy Organization) Governor to the Chicago Chapter Board for the 2010-2012 term
· Advisory Council the Midwest Independent Film Festival
· Chicago International Movies and Music Festival
Recent Panels and Lectures
· Panelist ASCAP Expo Los Angeles 2011
· Panelist South by Southwest Music Conference 2011
· Panel moderator at Winter Music Conference, Miami;
· Chicago Entertainment Law Committee (Chicago Bar Association);
· Chicago Music Commission (Chicago Cultural Center, Mayors Office),
· Midwest Film Festival Music Licensing Panel Moderator
Christian Arizmendi is of Counsel to The Entertainment Law Office, P.C. Mr. Arizmendi earned his law degree from the DePaul University College of Law, where he served as an editor for the Journal of Art, Technology & Intellectual Property Law and as president of the Latino Law Student Association. His coursework focused on intellectual property law, and he attended an international entertainment law program in London. Mr. Arizmendi was a legal intern at Ravinia Festival in Highland Park, IL, helping to draft agreements and review artist contracts.
Mr. Arizmendi was admitted to practice in the state of Illinois in November 2009. He received a Bachelor of Music in Performing Arts Management from the DePaul University School of Music. As a music student, Mr. Arizmendi performed on the French Horn with the DePaul Wind Symphony, the Chicago Businessmen's Orchestra, and the Lake Shore Symphony Orchestra. He also helped organize the 2005 Chicago Latino Film Festival as an intern for the International Latino Cultural Center of Chicago. In his free time, he regularly volunteers with PAWS Chicago.
Christian Arizmendi ejerce como abogado para la firma The Entertainment Law Office, P.C. El Sr. Arizmendi es un egresado de la Facultad de Derecho de la Universidad DePaul donde ejerció como editor de la Revista de Arte, Tecnología y Leyes sobre la Propiedad Intelectual; además, fungió como presidente de la Asociación de Estudiantes Latinos de Derecho. Christian Arizmendi enfocó su educación académica en las leyes pertenecientes a la propiedad intelectual; asimismo, participó en un programa referente a las leyes internacionales de la industria del entretenimiento que se llevó a cabo en Londres. El Sr. Arizmendi trabajó como pasante legal en el Festival de Ravinia en Highland Park, IL y cuyas funciones incluyeron preparar y revisar los contratos de los artistas participantes.
Christian Arizmendi fue admitido para ejercer la abogacía en el estado de Illinois en Noviembre de 2009. Recibó un título de Bachillerato de Música en la Administración de las Artes Interpretativas en la Facultad de Música de la Universidad DePaul. Durante sus años como estudiante de música, el Sr. Arizmendi, quien es un excelente cornista, llegó a formar parte de la Sinfónica de Viento de la Universidad DePaul, La Orquesta de Chicago Businessmen y la Orquesta Sinfónica de Lake Shore. Desempeñando su labor como pasante en el Centro Cultural Latino de Chicago, participó en la organización del Festival de Cine Latino en dicha ciudad. En su tiempo libre, ofrece regularmente sus servicios como voluntario en PAWS Chicago.